Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

Have you ever wished you could have been in Jerusalem on Good Friday? I know I have. It would have been frightening but I would have loved to be one of the townspeople who lined the street as Jesus walked by. I would have wanted to be Simon of Cyrene, chosen to help Jesus carry His cross through the streets, easing His burden ever so slightly, the burden He took on so my sins could be forgiven. Or Veronica, able to step forward and wipe the face of our Lord, clearing the blood and sweat from His eyes, soothing the sting for just a moment. Every Good Friday, while praying the Stations of the Cross, I desire nothing more than to put myself there, in the shadows of the crowd. I would want to run to Jesus and wipe His blood stained face before heaving the bottom of the wooden cross on to my shoulder. I would give anything to help the Man who gave us everything. Lord, how can I show you the depth of my gratitude, the burning love I have for You…

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me’.” Matthew 25:40

We might not be able to help Jesus carry his cross down the streets of Jerusalem, bombarded with pain both physical an emotional, but we can help those around us who we see suffering. When we witness an injustice taking place and we stand up for the truth, we are easing the weight of Jesus’ cross. When we see someone who is hurting or lonely and we extend a loving hand, we are wiping the sweat from the face of our God. Even though we are unable to help Jesus carry the cross to His ultimate death, we are able to ease the weight of the cross by helping those around us on a daily basis, showing the love of Christ to our brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment